


We had decided that a stop in Mustique on our way back from the Tobago Cays would be more of an adventure than just going back to Bequia. We headed North and charted a course to Mustique. This is the island of the rich and famous. Only 100 villas on the entire island. Lots of celebrities are supposed to own property here. As we pull in to Obsidian Bay, we notice a long pier and a bar/restaurant. I (as usual) am concerned about the anchorage. It appears that the boats are not swinging in unison on their anchor chains. A lot of confusion, and not a lot of space. The harbor is relatively full.
Also as usual, Don wants to get the boat in close so that we have a short dinghy ride to shore. The bay is deep, so this is not a bad idea anyway. We drop anchor, make a quick change of clothes and hop in the dinghy to head in to the bar. When we tie up on the pier, we have a bit of a walk to get to the bar. As we are walking along the pier we notice the LARGEST COCKROACH I have ever seen in my life. It had to be 2 inches long, an inch wide and an inch tall. The ladies would not have slept a wink if they had been sleeping on shore! We arrived at Basil's Bar after a short walk. It overhangs the bay, and we all have a great view of the boats in the harbor. Dinner was great, and the drinks were fantastic. I am, however, noticing that the boats are all swinging randomly in the harbor. I am concerned about the boat, and say something to the Don. He does not appear concerned.
After dinner and a few drinks, we all head back to the boat. The group goes to bed, but shortly after midnight I am awakened by Troy. He has been hearing a clunking noise outside his cabin. When we investigate topside, we notice that the boat has drifted stern to stern with another at anchor, and the dinghy of the other boat is banging into our boat. We push the boat away. Minutes later, the same thing occurs. Troy, Stub and I spend the next hour pushing the boats apart. Finally we wake the Don. He takes the issue into consideration and decides, lets just sail to Bequia!
We pull anchor and motor out of the harbor. Once outside the harbor, we set sail and kill the motor. The night is cloudless, and the stars are unreal. I have never seen more stars in my entire life. The waves were washing past the hull, and there was a fantastic warm breeze. Clearly one of the most memorable night sailing experiences of my life. I enjoyed that morning at the helm more that words can describe. Pure joy and relaxation. Beautiful.
Now, would you believe that the name of the vessel we are sailing on is "Stargazer"? Yeah.....really.
No comments:
Post a Comment